Step 1 — Initial Screening for Eligibility and Phone Interview
- Potential Applicant contacts Assistance Dogs Northwest and it is determined if initial eligibility requirements are met.
- If person is considered a potential applicant, a detailed phone interview will be conducted to determine eligibility for our program.
- Application packet will be mailed to potential applicants. If a person is not a match for our program they may be referred to another organization.
Step 2 — Written Application
- Potential applicant is notified once the completed packet is received with all accompanying documents.
- Application goes to the Application Review Committee.
- Applicant is notified of acceptance or denial of application.
Step 3 — Home Interview
- Successful applicant completes a pre-home interview form.
- Home interview takes place involving all members of the family.
Step 4 — Acceptance and Matching
- Once an applicant has successfully completed the interview process they go onto the waiting list for an Assistance Dog.
- Applicant is carefully matched with dogs according to temperament, skills needed, energy/activity level, personality, and environment that they would be working in.
- Wait times for an Assistance Dog are generally between one and two years.
- The applicant will be notified when the program has a possible match and the two prospective partners will meet.
- Team Training Camp is scheduled for the new partners.